In catching up on my RSS feeds, I found a flurry of articles about Google switching away from Windows because of the Chinese hack. This sounds exciting to me because it probably means that the Linux community will grow.
The articles say that Google employs more than 10,000 people. They have a choice of going to Apple, but surely a decent number of them will choose Linux. The other encouraging thing is that many of them are probably programmers. So, I would hope that this would mean more contributions to the desktop features of Linux.
- Google Operating System: Google Employees Need Permission to Use Windows
- Financial Times: Google ditches Windows on security concerns
- Engadget: Google said to be moving away from Windows internally, Mac and Linux systems on tap instead
- Engadget: Microsoft responds to Google moving away from Windows, calls it ironic
- InfoWorld: A Windows-free Google? Not yet
- InfoWorld: Microsoft counters report of Google’s dumping Windows