I have been attempting to tweak my DD-WRT installation on my router, and here are some great links that I found:
I was having trouble downloading the maps for RoadNav, and I didn’t notice a lot of progress or change on the problem. So, I checked for alternatives, and I found this. I tried the first on the list: NavIt.
First, I had to install the dependencies so that I could compile it. I installed the list from the dependencies section.
sudo apt-get install build-essential pkg-config automake libglib2.0-dev libtiff-dev libtool libxmu-dev libfribidi-dev gettext zlib1g-dev gpsd gpsd-clients libgps-dev libgtk2.0-dev freeglut3-dev glutg3-dev libcegui-mk2-dev libdevil-dev libglc-dev libpcre3-dev libmng-dev libfreeimage-dev
Next, I ran the configure and make. Instead of installing, I just ran it from the directory where I compiled it.
At this point, I had it working as long as I ran it from the directory where the program exists. But, it didn’t have any maps for my area. Next, I had to tackle configuring with the XML file.
First, I created a hidden directory and copied the xml file to it:
$ mkdir ~/.navit
$ cp /home/skp/bin/navit-0.1.0/navit/navit.xml /home/skp/.navit/
Next, I opened the xml file with Gvim (my favorite text editor). “Gvim ~/.navit/navit.xml”. You could use any text editor to open it.
The first change I made was to change the default position. I got my default coordinates from here as suggested in the Wiki. I found that these coordinates got me close, but not quite the address I had requested. So, I checked them with Google maps. If you notice, the URL on the “Link” link in the upper right corner has the coordinates of the map you request.
I tried to run it at this point from my home directory, but it would not work. It was looking in other directories, and so, I took the easy route and just keep running it from the source directory. It still read my xml file from my home directory.
Next, I had to setup the maps. I followed these directions. I used the maps from CloudMade, which has maps of the United States. I downloaded the *.navit.bin.zip files and extracted them to ~/.navit/. For example, I downloaded the Florida map: florida.navit.bin.zip to ~/.navit/florida.navit.bin. Finally, I added this to the XML file:
<map type=”binfile” enabled=”yes” data=”/home/skp/.navit/florida.navit.bin” />
Now, when I started it up, I saw a map with where I wanted it to start!
The last thing I did was create a shortcut in my application menu. This was pretty easy.
The first step was to create a simple shell script to launch the program. This was necessary because the program has to run from the source folder. Here is what my script looked like:
Note: change the cd path to the location where you downloaded and compiled the program.
Then, make the script executable with:
chmod +x navit.sh
To add the menu, I used the Menus application by right clicking on the Applications menu and choosing “Edit Menus”. I clicked on the Accessories menu and clicked the New Item button. Here are the options that I chose:
Note: change the Command path to the script that you created to launch the program.
For the icon, I clicked on the little spring icon on the left to choose a different icon. For the path, I chose: /home/skp/bin/navit-0.1.0/navit/xpm/desktop_icons/128×128.
To troubleshoot, you may want to change the Type from Application to Application in Terminal because the terminal window will show you the output messages from the program.
I think I tried this Blog Entry Poster program in the Ubuntu repository in the past and it wouldn’t work with my WordPress.com blog. Well, I don’t know what changed or if I was doing it wrong, but it works now assuming you can see this post.
There are a few features I would like though. 1) Support for multiple blog settings. It has a drop down for multiple blogs, but only one Base Blog URL. 2) Support to add images on other sites. 3) Support to edit the HTML 4) More formatting options such as adding bullet points and headings. 5) Save a draft rather than post the entry.
It didn’t take long for me to find something wrong with my new installation: the keyboard doesn’t work with remote desktop.
The big problem is that when I connect to my remote computer, the caps lock key doesn’t work. So, I can’t turn on caps lock. I tried to compile rdesktop from SourceForge, but that didn’t help. The caps lock key works with it, but the arrow keys do not.
Here is how I compiled it (just in case you want to try):
sudo apt-get install libx11-dev libssl-dev ./configure make
I just now found a fix (from the thread). Change the file /usr/share/rdesktop/keymaps/common . Change the line that says “Caps_Lock 0x0 inhibit” to “Caps_Lock 0x3a capslock”. I tried it out and everything works!
Now, I did have a couple of other issues. I use a docking station at work, and the caps lock key works weirdly with it: pushing the key turns caps lock on and off, but it does not turn the caps lock light on or off. Also, I have VMWare installed, and the arrow keys and such don’t work with the console. Changing this common file, and it does not fix the problem.
I finally got Ubuntu 8.10 installed. Despite a few problems it seems very nice.
The huge win for me was in the Wireless support. My laptop has a Broadcom wireless card, and I have always had to install ndiswrapper. This time, it worked on the Live CD without me evening having to do anything!
The article mentions the partitioner. I would have liked an option to remove all Linux partitions and automatically create the partitions. The options were remove all, none, or do it manually.
Overall, I am liking it very well. I will keep you posted.